I write this watching some very exciting cricket. Good morning food fans.
Tourists come to Britain for its food
The French would scoff, but it seems foreigners are bowled over by the grub in this country. Over 75% of our visitors said they enjoy spending time in our restaurants. The survey, conducted by VisitBritain, found that eating outstripped shopping, going to West End shows, and trudging round stately homes.
Fast food chains may be banned in Poole
After recent research suggested that a quarter of adults in Poole were obese, health chiefs in Dorset are considering banning fast food chains from within a mile of schools. Pizza Hut said: “We’re always happy to talk with the local council about any new policies they may have as we take our responsibility to public health seriously.”
McDonald’s lawsuit over Happy Meals
A woman in California is suing McDonald’s for targeting children with the toys in Happy Meals. “What kids see as a fun toy, I now realize is a sophisticated, high-tech marketing scheme that’s designed to put McDonald’s between me and my daughters,” said mother of two Monet Parham. The world, it would seem, has gone mad.
Other food news this week:
* 2,400 year old soup found in China.
* Consumers overestimate fat content on meat, says survey.
* Cheryl Cole’s dodgy diet.
* Food and drink rises push inflation to 3.3%.
* Five a day ‘saves lives’.
Blog of the week:
* My Virgin Kitchen. This nice man dresses up as an elf and cooks Christmas with his daughter.
Recipe of the week:
* The biggest pork pie I have e’er laid my eyes ‘pon, from Meemalee’s Kitchen.
Happening this weekend:
* The wonderful Dock Kitchen in Ladbroke Grove is holding a Christmas Market. Details here.
Video of the week:
A poignant and moving reminder of the perils of drinking too much at Christmas: