Victoria is our guest blogger this week. After noticing a lack of baking on this blog she kindly offered to contribute something warm and wintry. Her own blog, I Love Meal Plans, is well worth a goosey.
The scone is a British classic and homemade they are fantastic – light, tasty and always leave you wanting more! This cheese scone recipe is easy to make and is a great alternative to the usual boring lunchtime sandwich.
- 100g butter
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 25ml milk
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 70g mature cheddar (2/3 grated, 1/3 diced into small cubes)
- salt and pepper
- a little Parmesan for topping
1. Preheat oven 200*C (180*C fan)
2. Rub butter into flour, so it’s like breadcrumbs.
3. Add egg, salt, pepper, gradually add milk to make soft, not sticky, dough (do not overwork the dough).
4. Mix in cheese, mustard and oregano
5. Roll into little balls, make approx 10-12
6. Add some grated Parmesan on top of each scone.
7. Place on a lightly oiled baking tray
8. Bake in oven for 10-15 mins.
These are delicious warm from the oven or served with some cream cheese and chutney.
Look out for more sweet and savoury scone recipes coming soon at www.ilovemealplans.com