Celeb foods under fire
Foods endorsed by the likes of Jamie Oliver and Ainsley ‘the pate’ Harriott have been criticized for their high levels of salt and fat. Knives were out at the News of the World this week, where the ‘shocking truth’ was ‘revealed’. This ‘revelation’ was that some of these products have even more fat than a big mac. For more information see the products’ labels.
Local food ‘could save NHS millions’
The NHS has discovered that serving patients meals sourced locally could save it millions, reports the Grocer. It found that a staggering £2.50 per meal was saved by using local produce. If the average household made such a realization we would all be richer, healthier, greener and happier.
KFC fined for cockroach supper
That bastion of health and safety and good eating, KFC, is in the doldrums after a hefty (conflict about figure) fine following the discovery of a cockroach munching on a chip. An environmental health officer visited the Leicester Square branch to find the little blighter feasting happily on KFC’s, let’s face it, sub-par fries. This was but the tip of the iceberg though, as offences at the ‘restaurant’ went, as you can read here.
Other food news this week:
* Experts are suggesting that eating nuts could help lower cholestrol. Read here.
* Bernard Matthews goes free range. Will naysayers say nay a little less? Probably not.
* UN lambaste child labour policies in fishing.
* Smirnoff remains most influential brand in global drinks industry.
* Questions of whether food allergies are on the rise remain unanswered. That’s not really news is it?
Blog of the week
* The Food Debate returns in aid of Action Against Hunger. Judge Katy Salter talks us through it.*
Recipe of the week
* We’re at the height of asparagus season, and while they are arguably at their best simply steamed or roasted, here is an excellent alternative from Steff Says.
Video of the week
An old classic, I was reminded of this humdinger from Not The Nine O’Clock News after reading Will Self’s life-changingly brilliant ‘Great Apes’. Read it. Seriously. You’ll never look at your fellow man the same again.
*I realise this looks like a plug for an event I’ve organised. It is, but it’s all in the name of charity. And jousting.